3.18.2012

Grandma's Visit!

At McCarty Park with Mommy, Grandma, and Kati-dog!

Grandma came to visit last week and we had a great time! The weather was perfect, so we spent a lot of time out and around Milwaukee. We visited a local park and walked around the fishing pond in the center, then played with Scarlet on the swing set. We visited Lowe's to pick out kitchen finishes for her new kitchen. And we spent some time walking around downtown Wauwatosa--they have some great cafe's and pubs there, along with some nice independent shops. We found a cute little independent book store--The Little Read Book--as well as discovering Cafe Hollander and Piccola Pizzeria.

We'd heard about Cafe Hollander but never really knew where it was. I ran into this area a couple of weekends ago when I was out Saturday morning doing my grocery shopping and needed to find the closest Ace Hardware to go and pick up some paint (they've been running Saturday "free paint days" on the new Clark and Kensington paint and I really needed some white for some large-scale paintings I'm working on). The closest one happened to be right in the heart of downtown Tosa and the area was so cute that I had to take my mom back to explore with me when she got here.

Scarlet loves the swingset!

We also visited the Spice House. It's a great little store near downtown Tosa that just sells all sorts of spice mixtures, fresh ground spices, vanilla beans, specialty rubs, and more. And at great prices, too! Grandma really cleaned up! They have a cajun seasoning that is fantastic and a really great rib rub that I use on all my pork dishes. Mmm. I used the cajun seasoning a couple of weeks ago to make a fantastic cajun rice. Jeremy and I couldn't get enough of it! Jeremy has never made so many yummy noises while eating. And it was really easy:

Cajun Rice
  1. 4.5 cups chicken broth (I used bouillon cubes)
  2. 2 cups of white rice (you could use brown if you wanted)
  3. 1 can diced green chilis
  4. 1 green pepper, diced
  5. 2 tsp cajun seasoning of your choice
  6. 1 tsp salt
  7. 1 leek, diced (just the white part--you could also use a regular onion, I just didn't have one)
  8. 1 green onion, chopped
Instructions: Saute the veggies, add the broth and seasonings, add the rice and cook as rice package says.

Moving on! I got sick the day before she was going to head back to Minnesota, so she stayed an extra day to help me with Scarlet. That morning she said to Lettie, "You should learn to crawl today so Grandma can see it!" And within 3 hours, she did! And she learned to sit herself up! And then she started cruising the furniture that evening!

It was a big day of milestones for little Scarlet! We're so proud of her. Now she's itching to stand up in the middle of the floor and start walking, so we'll see how soon that starts up. She's always been really great at standing up and her balance is definitely getting better.

0 comments: